* AADLC announces Schiff endorsement while Rogan’s Republican leaders in the House continue to oppose Armenian Genocide bill.
FALLS CHURCH–Va.–The Armenian American Democratic Leadership Council (AADLC) today announced its endorsement of Adam Schiff in the race for California’s 27th Congressional District. The AADLC is the largest national organization representing the interests of Armenian American Democrats throughout the nation and is committed to helping the Democrats take back the leadership of the House of Representatives and Senate this coming November.
Adam Schiff’s commitment to the core values and concerns of the Armenian-American community make him the natural choice for all Armenian-American voters going to the polls in California’s 27th Congressional District this fall. Throughout his impressive career as a State Senator–Adam Schiff has distinguished himself as an energetic leader on a range of issues-from recognition of the Armenian Genocide to expanding California’s economic relations with Armenia.
For the voters of Armenian descent in California’s 27th Congressional District the choice for Adam Schiff is especially clear because of his strong understanding of both the local–national and international concerns of the close to 100,000 Armenian-Americans in the 27th District;
* Adam Schiff secured $500,000 in 1999 for a state-funded documentary on the Armenian Genocide.
* Adam Schiff has consistently led efforts to help promote trade relations and expand economic ties between companies in California and Armenia.
* Adam Schiff has played a principal role in affirming the historical fact of the Armenian Genocide.
* Adam Schiff is committed to directing federal resources into local schools to improve standards and ensure that every student is learning in a safe and positive environment.
* Adam Schiff has a proven record as a leader in addressing youth violence issues and will bring his know-how to help the 107th Congress tackle one of the most pressing issues facing the people of the 27th district.
* Adam Schiff has been a major advocate for maintaining affordable housing for low-income residents of the 27th District.
"Adam Schiff will be a Congressman all Armenian-Americans can be proud of," said AADLC Executive Director Alex Sardar. "He has earned the support and confidence of so many Armenian-Americans because of his unbending determination to represent the hopes and dream of the Armenian-American community–and he has been one of only a few legislators–who have become advocates and not mere representatives of this community." he added.
"With Jim Rogan’s Deputy Chief of Staff David Silverstein recently attending a gala banquet in honor of Turkey in Washington and with the Republican Speaker of the House just this week hiring a former lobbyist for Azerbaijan as his chief foreign affairs aide–a vote for Adam Schiff is the clear choice for Armenian-Americans this November," Sardar concluded.
Unlike his opponent–who is closely linked to a Republican leadership team in the House that has consistently opposed efforts to honor the memory of the 1.5 million martyrs of the Armenian Genocide–Adam Schiff’s election to Congress will lead to a productive alliance with the many pro-Armenian legislators among the House Democratic leadership. Working with a potential leadership team of Dick Gephardt and David Bonior–Adam Schiff will have the opportunity to take the kind of dedication he has shown in fighting for his constituents to the federal level and continue to advocate for real change and progress for California’s 27th Congressional District and the largest Armenian-American constituency anywhere in the United States.
The 27th Congressional District includes the cities of Altadena–Burbank–Glendale–La Canada–La Crescenta–Montrose–Pasadena–San Marino–South Pasadena–Sunland–and Tujunga.
The AADLC works with the Democratic National Committee to foster support within the Armenian American community for the Democratic Party and national Democratic office holders–while promoting the election of Armenian American Democrats to political office and encouraging participation by Armenian American Democrats at all levels of the public policy process.