GLENDALE–The Armenian National Committee Political Action Committee announced Tuesday its endorsement of Carol Liu for the 44th State Assembly District seat–which covers the communities of Sunland-Tujunga–parts of Glendale–La Crescenta–LaCanada-Flintridge–Altadena–Eagle Rock–Pasadena–South Pasadena–San Marino–and Temple City.
The ANC-PAC decision to endorse Carol Liu for the 44th State Assembly seat is based on the candidate’s stated positions on issues of concern to Armenian Americans in the district. With a large Armenian American community residing in the 44th district–Carol Liu has allocated time and resources in reaching the population–while responding to issues of concern to the community.
Carol Liu has expressed her willingness to work toward expanding relations between the State of California and the Republic of Armenia in the trade and commerce area. At the same time she has pledged to work on a variety of social issues–including youth violence and affordable housing.
"Carol Liu has expressed in no uncertain terms that she is very interested in working with the Armenian American community to explore possible avenues of cooperation–and at implementing projects which will benefit the 44th State Assembly district in general–as well as the Armenian community in particular," stated Souzi Zerounian–ANC-PAC member.
"In Carol Liu–we will have a leader–who will work for those concerns which affect the district and our community directly–and we are confident that we will be able to continue working with this distinguished leader in addressing a number of issues," explained Anahit Stepanian–ANC La Crescenta member.
Carol Liu Assembly Candidate gives pledge to Armenian community
As a member of the California State Legislature:
* I will condemn the genocide of the Armenian people perpetrated by the Turkish Government. I will actively promote educational programs that raise awareness about the Genocide and be a vocal advocate for official United States recognition of the Armenian Genocide.
* I will support execution of a California’s Trade and Commerce Agency official Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between California and Armenia as the first step of a long-term strategy to establish a regional California Trade Office in Yerevan–Armenia. I will continue to urge Governor Davis to support this important effort.
* I will support expansion of after school and anti-gang programs throughout the district.
* I will promote increased affordable housing throughout the district.
* I will seek out qualified Armenian-Americans for positions in my campaign and on both my district and Sacramento office staff.
* I will work to insure increased employment of Armenian-Americans employed by the State Government and appointed to State Commissions.
* If elected–I will appoint Armenian-American to Democratic Party Central Committee–Assembly District–and Regional Committee posts to ensure that the community is represented at all levels.
* I will work to ensure the input of Armenian community leaders in the forthcoming redistricting process to draw legislative and Congressional seats that enhance Armenian-American representation in Sacramento and Washington–DC.