YEREVAN–On June 17, distinguished guests and government leaders enjoyed an evening devoted to the celebration of the 5th anniversary of the Armenia Marriott Hotel, one of the biggest achievements and investments in Armenia.
Along with ancient churches, statues, and historic buildings, the Armenia Marriott Hotel Yerevan is considered a cultural landmark of Armenia. The hotel was built in the 1950’s and started operating as the Hotel Armenia in 1958. It is the jewel in a group of buildings that frame Yerevan’s main square.
During Soviet times, the square was named after Lenin, the founder of the Soviet Union. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Armenia gained its independence, the square was renamed after the new republic.
Republic Square’s ground plan has an oval shape, and the main emphasis in the architectural arrangement of the square’s ensemble is placed on the buildings framing it. The 5 buildings surrounding the square are the Government House, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Art Gallery and Museum of History of Armenia, Central Post Office, and Armenia Marriott Hotel. The architect, Mark Grigorian, designed the building within the same outline and organization as all the other buildings around the square. Hotel Armenia, which was the main tourist hotel, was privatized in 1998 and acquired by AK Development.
The ownership group consists of prominent Armenian Americans who recognized the importance of tourism to Armenia’s economic development. The owning company invested over $40 million to completely refurbish the hotel and bring it up to the international 5-star standard with branding as the Armenia Marriott Hotel. Today, this international brand hotel in Yerevan is the second largest foreign investment and the largest American investment in the country. The focus is placed on western-style rooms and top-class service for business revelers and tourists alike.