BAKU—Azerbaijan said on Thursday it had shot down an Armenian drone near Nagorno-Karabakh, a report dismissed by Armenia as “absurd,” reported Reuters.
The Azeri Defense Ministry said the drone had been shot down over Azeri territory but Artsrun Hovhannisyan, Spokesman for the Armenian Defense Ministry, denied the report.
“Nagorno-Karabakh officially refutes this information. It is absurd,” he said.
“It is clear that after heavy losses, the Azerbaijani side wishes to present achievements as big as possible. But even lies should be reasonable. I will not be surprised if tomorrow they down an Armenian nuclear submarine in the air or catch an intercontinental ballistic missile,” Artsrun Hovhannisyan said in a Facebook post.
The Azerbaijani forces used large-caliber weapons as they breached the ceasefire regime at different sectors of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border, the Armenian Ministry of Defense said in a statement.
The front divisions of the Armenian Armed Forces resorted to reciprocal actions in response to targeted violations.
“At around midnight, the enemy undertook an act of sabotage in Tavush province. The Azerbaijani subversive group opened fire in the direction of a civilian vehicle at the Voskepar-Kirants section of the border. No casualties are reported,” a statement from the Defense Ministry said.
The members of the infiltrating group were forced back to their initial positions as a result of actions taken by the Armenian side, the Ministry said.