ISTANBUL (Hürriyet Daily News)—Hrant Dink’s relatives and his family’s lawyers stormed out of the courtroom in protests Monday, when the chief prosecutor requested to state his opinion on the case, claiming that many of their requests had not been met over the course of the trials.
“Not an inch of progress has been made in five years. [The authorities] do not want to investigate the truth behind this murder,” said Fethiye Çetin, a lawyer for the Dink family.
It was unacceptable for the judge to grant the prosecution permission to issue his opinion before the collection of all the evidence, Çetin said.
The family’s lawyers had earlier demanded that the trial be merged with the ongoing Ergenekon case but the request was rejected by the court.
However, on Monday, the chief prosecutor put forth the same theory saying that Dink’s assassination may be connected to the ongoing Ergenekon coup-plot case, and requested life imprisonment for suspected conspirators Yasin Hayal and Erhan Tuncel.
“The assassination of Hrant Dink is the latest assassination enacted by the deep [state.] The suspects acted with ideological motivations. The Turkish Republic and public order [were] the targets. There are [reasons] to suspect that the murder is connected to the Ergenekon organization,” the chief prosecutor said.