ARTICLE 9 OF THE RECENTLY SIGNED IRAQI INTERIM CONSTITUTION–RECOGNIZING ARABIC AND KURDISH AS THE TWO OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF IRAQ–NEVERTHELESS GUARANTEES THE RIGHT TO IRAQI CITIZENS OF ETHNIC ORIGINS–INCLUDING ARMENIANS–TO TEACH CHILDREN THEIR ANCESTRAL LANGUAGES IN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS. THE FULL TEXT OF ARTICLE 9:
The Arabic language and the Kurdish language are the two official languages of Iraq. The right of Iraqis to educate their children in their mother tongue–such as Turcoman–Syriac–or Armenian–in government educational institutions in accordance with educational guidelines–or in any other language in private educational institutions–shall be guaranteed.
The scope of the term "official language" and the means of applying the provisions of this Article shall be defined by law and shall include:
1. Publication of the official gazette–in the two languages;
2. Speech and expression in official settings–such as the National Assembly–the Council of Ministers–courts–and official conferences–in either of the two languages;
3. Recognition and publication of official documen’s and correspondence in the two languages;
4. Opening schools that teach in the two languages–in accordance with educational guidelines;
5. Use of both languages in any other settings enjoined by the principle of equality (such as bank notes–passports–and stamps);
6. Use of both languages in the federal institutions and agencies in the Kurdistan region.