YEREVAN (Yerkir)–The murder of slain Turkish Armenian journalist Hrant Dink has been improperly investigated with some of the evidence being hidden or destroyed, said Daink family lawyer Erdal Dogan.
"During the preparations for trial, the prosecutor’s office demanded some information that has not been provided, and during the investigation process, the court’s deman’s from security personnel and institutions have not been fulfilled. If such information is being withheld, the people behind this crime cannot be revealed, so we can’t talk about a just trial process," Dogan said yesterday, following the third hearing on Monday in the trial of defendants accused of assassinating Dink.
"In the report related to how the defendants had been organized to commit the crime, head of police intelligence Ramazan Akyurek intervened in the case by calling Yasin Hayal and others planning the murder merely a group of friends who came together because he said Dink had insulted Turkishness," Dogan said, referring to the series of police lapses in the handling of the Dink case as well as official attempts to protect those who plotted the crime as reported by the press previously.
"[Akyurek] obstructed justice by ordering the destruction of a 49-page document related to one of the defendants, Erhan Tuncel," he continued. "The trial cannot proceed in a healthy manner because documen’s containing information on more than 6,000 telephone calls made by some of the defendants have been destroyed by security officials in Trabzon."
Most of the suspects who are standing tried for instigating the crime are from Trabzon. The trial is set to continue on Feb. 25.