TEHRAN (IRNA)–The first and oldest church in Tehran will be reopened on International Cultural Heritage Day on May 18.
The church was built on Mowlavi Avenue–in downtown Tehran–in 1808–by two Armenian families and was named Saints Thaddaeus and Bartholomew Church.
The main founders of the church were glass cutters Khachik and Haroutiun–who were buried at the entrance of the church.
The church and its prayer hall are approximately 320 square meters. As the first and only establishment for the Armenia’s at that time–the yard of the church was also used as a graveyard for Christians.
A number of foreign–political and cultural personalities including Russian and British Ambassadors to Iran; the Prince of Georgia; Charles Scott–second son of renowned English writer Sir Walter Scott; Charles Alison–special envoy and Ambassador Plenipotentiary of the British Court in Iran; and Dvood Khan–the then court doctor are also buried in the church yard.