YEREVAN (Noyan Tapan)–The Armenian Revolutionary Federation–along with the Democratic Party of Armenia–the Armenian Democratic League of Armenia–Self-Determination Union–Scientists and Industrials Union and the National Democratic Union issued an announcement Wednesday calling for a representative system for the new legislature in Armenia.
National Assembly member Roubik Hakopian presented the announcement which–on behalf of the aforementioned parties–called for parliament to adopt a resolution into the electoral code–currently being discussed–which would ensure a 70 percent representative and 30 percent majority system of parliament.
This would entail that 70 percent of the new parliament would be comprised of party representatives while the remaining 30 percent would include individual district representatives.
The parties argued that such a system would protect the legislature from wealthy individuals to use their financial abilities to win an election–through financing of expensive campaigns.
The statement also called for political parties to have equal representation in electoral commissions.